2016/01/19

Week 1 Storytelling "Every truth has two sides"

There was a fox. He lived in the forest where many predators lived. In this forest, he had to be careful to get his empty stomach filled. One day, he was very hungry. He failed to hunt for himself for three days, and he was starving. His mouth was craving for food and his eyes were blurry with starvation. He needed food as soon as possible or he could die from hunger. But because he was not fed, he was weak. Because he was weak, he could not catch any prey of his. But suddenly, he heard a song. A beautiful song that was sung by the cock. The fox knew this cock had to be fat in order to sing that loud. A fox ran towards the source of the song. He was starving and he had no other choice. At last, He found the cock. Just as he thought, the cock was huge; he would be a good meal for a starving fox. However, a fox did not have any strength to climb up the tree. Therefore, he had to try and persuade to come down.
He started to talk to convince this chicken.
(In the forest. Red fox pup by Eric Bégin)

"Hi, there. What a beautiful creature you are. May I have a honor to have a chat with you?"

A cock stared at a fox. He smiled.


"Of course, just come through the door. The door is at the bottom of the tree. We will share the story of our lives at the branch of this tree."


A fox ran. He did not suspect anything. There was only one thought in his mind. A fat juicy chicken in his mouth. He drooled.


"Well, Well, Well. Thank you, my chicken. I finally got to eat something. I was starving."


Apparently he was not the only one who was starving. A dog who accompanied this cock through the forest was starving as well.


"Now I don't have to eat you, chicken. This fox is going to be a better meal after all."


A dog drooled.

When it sounds too perfect, look before you leap


Author's note: The story of the actual fable is about the fox who was trying to deceive the cock. But eventually the fox had to face the dog who was a friend of the chicken. The moral of the story is the one who is trying to deceive other will pay for his/her actions, but I twisted the story a little bit to change the moral of the story. What if the cock crowed because he wanted to attract the fox? He probably got the fox's attention in order to feed the dog who possibly had not eaten during the travel. What if the cock was the one who was trying to deceive the fox and fox just had to try his best to get himself stay alive? The basic story is the same, but characters in my story have different reasons for their own actions. Therefore, the moral was different although the story was same.

Bibliography: this story is based on the fable of "The Dog, The cock, And The Fox" in  Aesop for Children by anonymous.


5 comments:

  1. Although I am not familiar with the original version, I really liked this alternate spin you put on the traditional fable. I thought it was clever to make the cock the one that did the deceiving and I definitely did not expect the story to end in the way that it did. You're lesson at the end makes a lot of sense and I could tell it was really well thought out. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your spin on this traditional fable. I actually have never heard of the fable myself until I read your post! I really liked that you made the cock the one who tricked the fox. I think something we can all take away from this story is to not think that you are necessarily better than someone! I also liked how you thoroughly explained your thought process on how you came up with the story! I thought your story was neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred-
    I love how you altered this traditional fable in a way that kept the same storyline but changed the moral. This is definitely an interesting viewpoint.
    I really like the pictures you selected for this blog post! They provide great imagery for the reader and make it easy to picture these animals involved in your version of the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the description you used for the starving fox in the beginning because it really made me feel bad for the fox. I liked the ending and the way you changed your story from the original story. Usually people don't take a story and change the moral of it so it's really great that you did that. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred,
    I enjoyed reading your story. I was simple and right to the point. I liked your description of all the characters. I didn’t see that ending coming. It was a good lesson we can all learn. I thought you did an excellent job on your author’s notes. You added a couple of extra senario’s of what if. Great job!

    ReplyDelete