2016/01/29

My storybook topics brainstorm

1. Possible topic : Gods and Goddess in Greeks.
I read Homer's Iliad by Alfred J. Church and what I found interesting was that there are a lot of gods appeared in the story although the story was mainly focused on the humans and the war. Gods and goddess were playing huge roles, not like the Bible, Greek gods directly show their appearance, like humans, and affected the world directly by killing people or saving people. I was really interested in how there are so many gods in Greek myth. Not only there are twelve major gods and goddess in Olympus which I have found in my research but also there are minor gods whose names were not really familiar with me. This would be a wonderful topic because these gods and goddess are pretty much humans. They have feelings such as love, hate, and sadness, they have genders, gods and goddess, and their actions are just like human's, so I think there are interesting facts and interesting story could be adjusted and retold by me.

Web source: Greek Mythology

2. Possible topic : monsters and mysterious creatures in Greek Mythology
The another interesting thing about myths are something that are not natural or does not exist in real life. Monsters would be great examples. For example, a Hydra, a monster with nine heads, that was killed by Hercules, is something that does not exist in nowadays in anywhere in the world. I would like to learn more about these monsters that were defeated by the heroes and mysterious creatures that helped heroes. I would like to know more about the appearance of Greek's monsters and their unique characteristics and the importance of them to the protagonists. The history or the background of these monsters would be the one thing that I would like to learn as well. Some monsters could had been born from their monster parents, or they could have been created somehow by gods. Any creatures besides human, and gods, would be researched for their physical characteristics and their background story.

3. Possible topic : Greek myth's Heroines.
Achilles, Odysseys, Hector, and etc. These are the heroes that I am familiar with. I have heard their name before although I do not know much stories about them. However, in Greek myths, there are a lot of female characters. There are gods but also goddess and I think this is very interesting to write or talk about. I would like to research about heroines in Greek mythology and would also like to write their stories. Many fairy tales and myths are focused on male characters, but there are a lot of female characters in Greek myths to talk about. The most interesting thing about heroines in Greek mythology is that they are not just sidekicks or extra characters that just walk by the heroes in the background scene, but rather are very powerful like male heroes do and some of them are protagonists of the story. A great example would be Atalanta.
(Atalanta. Web source: Theoi)

4. Possible topic : unknown heroes.
There are a lot of heroes in Greek mythology. This is very personal point of view, but some of the heroes are famous and some of them are not. For example, everyone know who Hercules is. I knew who Hercules was even before reading about Greek myth story. Achilles is also a great example of hero that is well-known. I did not know his story but his name is so famous that one of our body part is named after him. However, I have not heard of Hector before the reading. Many people might know him but he is not the one who was familiar with me. I would like to know, possibly all of them, and talk about some of the heroes whose name might not be heard by people like me. I am interested in what they did and how are they related to some of the famous heroes. This topic is quite personal because some of the heroes might not be heard by me but to most of people. I would still focus on minor heroes in this topic but this would be very specific and heavily based on my opinion. However, I am really interested in this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment