2016/04/13

Week 12 Reading Diary - continued

The second part of the reading for Beowulf, I decided to focus on the battle scene in the story. I have already decided what to rewrite about so I want to get some general ideas that possibly would help me rewrite.

The part that I observed the most was the first battle that Beowulf had with Grendel.

"SILENTLY they fought in the fog-strewn hall of Heorot. Silently their bodies twisted and bent, this way and that, and Beowulf kept Grendel's huge hands with their long claws of sharp bone from him, and Grendel in turn sought to tear apart the quick body that slipped so easily through his arms and legs."

It was most definite that Beowulf had a strength to fight against Grendel, which is a huge monster. I could use similar situation to tell how strong the young Beowulf was because I believe he was strong when he was young as well.

There were a lot of detailed and examples in this part of the story that would definitely help me in rewriting.

"And the mighty arm of Grendel gave way in the terrible hands of Beowulf, and, with a piercing shriek that shook the gilded rafters of Heorot, Grendel stumbled forward, leaving in Beowulf's hands the gory arm."

Later in the part of the reading Beowulf actually fought against Grendel with bare hands and was able to rip his arms off from his body. What a incredible strength. This gives me a idea how young Beowulf fought an enemy of greater size than he is but he could easily defeat him with his strength which would lead him to be sullen in his strength because he was never able to use full strength of him.



No comments:

Post a Comment