2016/04/05

Week 11 Reading Diary - King Arthur

From the beginning of this class, I wanted to read this tale. I have heard a lot about King Arthur yet have never read his tale. I really like the first part of this story. It was hard for me to pick which part I would write about. However, If I have to pick, my favorite part of the story would be The Sword Excalibur.

Until now, I thought the sword that Arthur drew from the rock, that made him a king of Britain, was Excalibur. I was surprised when I was reading this part of the story because this story explained that Excalibur was in fact from the Lake.

"In a little while they came to a large lake, and in the midst of the lake Arthur beheld an arm rising out of the water, holding up a sword."

So the sword that he had was broken and he need a new sword. Merlin took Arthur to where the lady of the lake lived and she gave him Excalibur.

""Well," said the maiden, "get into the barge yonder, and row yourself to the sword, and take it and the scabbard with you." For this was the sword Excalibur. "As for my gift, I will ask it in my own time."

I was more surprised when Merlin said the sword is not as worth as the scabbard of the Excalibur. I wonder how this would have affected the fights of Arthur in the future.


""You are not wise to say that," replied Merlin, "for the scabbard is worth ten of the sword, and as long as it is buckled on you you will lose no blood, however sorely you may be wounded.""


I think this was a great story. I really like this part because I learned a new thing about the tales of king Arthur. I would like to pick a part to rewrite after I finish reading this tale completely.




No comments:

Post a Comment