2016/02/17

Week 5 Reading Diary : Jataka's Tale continued

This is a diary over continues reading for a Indian tale: Jataka's Tale. This tale has a lot of stories. I have selected few stories that I really like.

First story is the golden goose. Just like the crocodile and monkey, I know a tale over the goose which laid an golden egg. Both story is similar, where a poor family had a goose who brings them the fortune. However, the greedy of a person or human always ruined what they already have. From the paragraph,"But one day the mother said to her daughters: "Let us not trust this Goose. Some day he may fly away and never come back. Then we should be poor again. Let us get all of his feathers the very next time he comes." This is what happened to a goose with golden eggs. People wanted more, people thought they deserve more although it was a goose who were providing them with its favor.

"Now the Golden Goose has strange feathers. If his feathers are plucked out against his wish, they no longer remain golden but turn white and are of no more value than chicken-feathers. The new ones that come in are not golden, but plain white."

Eventually a goose ran away in this story, and a goose die in the other story. But from both stories we could learn that greed will ruin what you already have.

The second story I love is the Otters and the Wolf. I have no other story that is similar to that but I like how smart wolf was. I liked how it is not a conflict between wolf and the other animal, where wolf has to haunt them down but he used his smartness to obtain what he wanted.

"The Wolf was pleased and said to himself, as he ran toward home, "Now I have fresh fish for my mate." His mate, seeing him coming, came to meet him, saying: "How did you get fish? You live on land, not in the water." Then he told her of the quarrel of the Otters. "I took the fish as pay for settling their quarrel," said he."


I would like to write a story over a goose and wolf or other animals from the other stories where they might have a tea party and share their story.

From Jataka's Tale by Ellen Babbit

No comments:

Post a Comment